Sunday, December 2, 2012

Logan Grimnar, My Way !


1st Up we are now on Facebook - early start so far but if you want to keep track of our progress there here is the link- The 5thColumn WargamingBlog  - check it out and "like" us :)

Anyway .......

So part of the build for Cancon is my Logan Grimnar Counts as model for the 13th company - I thought about this long and hard - how do i want him to look -  is going to have the standard wolf in terminator armor with big flowing cloak? or should I go for more of a barbarian look - no cloak poised to fight and not wanting something like a cloak getting in the way?  


In the end I have gone for the more barbarian look -  so I went to Google to see what people had done-  one thing I did want to do was use the Asteroin Moloc body - I love the pose and think there is some great possibility to convert him.  So with my average Google skills I found this thread on Bolter and Chainsword - Link  
So I like this and the main approach was to use the same idea of the shoulder pad tassle from the space wolf terminator shoulder pads - so this is my version of the above:









So a couple of key differences - I'm using cataphractii shoulder pads and storm bolter-  the head is from the thunderwolf kit- the top knot is from the Ork Nob models- the axe is temporary as I have plans use two Savage Ork Big Boss axe heads to create a twin axe head to act as the Axe Morkai-
I dremeled out the six pack and replaced it with cabling as I don't see a space wolf running around looking like a Pansie blood angel with nipples etc.

I also redid the chest piece and added in some secret weapon miniatures etched brass around the collar as well as runes in various places - I still need to add some runes to the legs to replace the Greek symbols, all in all I'm really happy with the progress and when the build is done in full ill post it up-  then the painting - oh sooo much painting!


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! What did you use for the loincloth, and how were you able to carve out the helmet area without damaging the model? Please post photos of the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, JP has to post an updated picture of Grimnar as I personally did a lot of work on the model to improve its look.

    As for the helmet area he used my dremal with an engraving tool, I highly recommend it to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - Paint has been splashed on and I'm very happy with the outcome- The loincloth was delicately cut away from the space wolf forgeworld terminator shoulder pads set - ill show you which pad in the next post-

    The two of us usually work on models - either from a painting point of view ill throw advise and assistance vondrakin's way and then he helps with the models on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, well it looks sharp! Wanted to complement you on your attention to detail on his abdomen area as well!

    Hm, is there a Plan B for hollowing out that helmet area for those of us currently without dremel/engraver? I'm hesitant to start gouging in there with GW plastic clippers or scalpels...

    ReplyDelete