Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Three times a charm...

So this sunday just gone saw me play three games at 1200 pts.With a total of 1 loss, 1 draw and 1 win, it was to be an average day of gaming and one I cant complain about.

I got to play 3 opponents however that auspicious day which in itself is unusual for me, as its usually the normal grudge match between myself and my bestest buddy JP, not to say I dont enjoy playing other people but as I work and study I find it hard to play at clubs when everyone else is playing.

And the game begins... slowly
So anyway Game 1 saw me playing JP Blood Angel vs Blood Angel, Me with a fusion jump infantry/biker list and him with a drop pod/deep strike termi list. This game started very slowly, looking more like an exercise in manoeuvring on JP's part as I held my entire force in reserve and let him go first. With a pitched battle and sieze ground with 4 objectives it was going to be a game of last moment objective controls more than anything. Turn 2 saw almost my entire force come on to the table but the dice gods abandoned me with every melta gun at my disposal missing everything entirely (6 of the bloody things) and I swear its enough to make me think I am makign an army of frakin mexican bandidos, them firing wildly into the air and dancing around their hats...

This model played the part of a Terminator Librarian with storm shield quite well, About time you found a use for him JP
Needless to say his 2 dreadnoughts held my assault troops steady and a last minute charge of the light brigade saw my bikes get caught by his elite deathstar assault termi unit... needless to say with my dice rolls it did not fair well for me. Now with all that I could have still played this game out and perhaps scored myself a draw or maybe even a lucky win and if this was a tourny I would have but as I was fairing poorly for dice and had been outmanoeuvred at the time I conceded the victory to JP, which for all its forfeit was still a fair won game for him.

Charging the right flank
and there be dreadnoughts!
Click on this one for the full view, its a fantastic shot with a real sense of movement thanks to JP's forgewolrd obsession :)
In summary my thoughts are thus, My BA list especially at 1200pts really needs some work, the army just isnt feeling right and being without armour is a real handicap, I have been trying all sorts of different combinations out and to my conclusion as I said to JP it lacks anything really hard. JP's list however worked a treat, as we discussed he needed to harden his list up and the addition of assault terminators really proved his benefit, the dreads worked but at least 1 should have died (damn you vagrancies of fate), as we had both discussed and feared the termi's spent a bit of time footslogging before they got anywhere but were left untouched by my force as I was trying to roll up a flank and play keep away from them... mistakes were made and they got to play however. Good list JP, needs some more tweaking but it looks like the core is coming together!

"Him, I want him to die!"
the last thing my bikers saw was the backside of their brains... oh well, Death is the ultimate teacher!
My second game that day was against a fellow by the name of Brenton who fielded his Black Templar force vs my Astral Wolves. Pitched battle again but capture and control (or as Brenton so succinctly put it "draw hammer:"). the game saw First turn going to me, and my Vindicator do what it does best... miss. However at the end of the day we played out a full 6 turns and lo it was a draw, Both armies decimated and had it been kill points I was in the lead but for all that it was a close and fair game played against an awesome opponent! My thanks for the match dude, well done and never fear Kharn will be back for more skulls!

To all those who doubt my ability to throw what can only be described as the worst fucking dice ever... behold, 12 dice thrown, nine 1's. do the probability then do it every week when i repeat with different dice!
In summation, Black Templars are broken, the codex needs an update bad but for all that they aren't broken beyond being competitive. 

The third game this day saw me line up against Michael, one of the co-owners of Realm of Legends, and this was a game a long time coming. I have been meaning to to Michael for a long time now, he has always been to my understanding a very accomplished player and a consumate gentleman... oh and he fielded a CSM Khornate force... YAY!.

This is a dirty trick... but a worthwhile one and very legal. I hold no grudges for having this pulled on me and applaud it. Thanks dude for whowing me how :)
This game saw us playing on a very open river with bridge map, Spearhead deployment and for Killpoints. Again I got first turn and deployed everything bar 1 oblit and the Chosen on the table, Michael deploying only his Defiler in the far corner. To my incredible luck the one Oblit on the board was in the zone, he saw a big nasty thing took aim and rolled almost nothing but 6's to destroy it right of the bat! from there it was almost painful watching his reserve rolls force his army on in a slow trickle, to be bombarded by my entire force. Judicious use of available cover saw him keep a fair amount alive but not long into the game I had 2 killpoints to his none. Turn 5 however saw him use the surrounding trick on my chosen in rhino to blow them to kingdom come and force them to be removed, though had this been anything but a friendly I wouldnt have gotten that close! At end of turn 5 it was a draw and well fought one at that however the dice gods decreed a 6th turn be played to which I managed to score another several killpoints and securing the game to my victory.

Khorne and Nurgle, its all love baby!
In summary to this game, Michael was a fair and friendly player, Luck saw him get an all out tromping and had we a different table he may have forced me closer than I was. For all that we had a good game and I would happily play him again anytime, I leant things that game and would be happy to lose against such a polite player!

So there you have it, 3 games played. 3 results and a good day was had, I might mention that all of these games were played in air conditioned comfort at was is turning into the best venue I have seen to date, If your in Melbourne and havent made the trip to Realm of Legends yet I highly suggest you do so now... buy stuff too, we dont have so many gaming centres of this calibre to see this one go!

In other news I leave for O/S in a few days, While I hope to get 1 last night of gaming in and perhaps another blog post only time will tell, for soon I fly to the land of the rising sun, Japan!

As always,
Good Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment