Sunday, May 15, 2011

High Elves 3000 points

Hi all,

Well from a gaming perspective 40k is taking a back seat for the next few months, well at least till Arcannacon,  painting will continue and I should have an update in the next week with another completed squad.







What does fill the void will be Warhammer,  This past week I've been constructing models and reading as much as I can on Ulthuan.net.  Warhammer seems to changed allot since the last time i played the game, that being when magic was a supplement and the box set was high elves and the goblins.
I hope to also throw up some tactics posts and battle reports  and track my return to the warhammer fold so to speak.

Anyway I digress.

The painting plan revolves around a 3000 point list with a few optional units to swap in and out and make things interesting.

At the core will be the following:

Lvl 4 Mage with Seer Staff - running with life magic

Lvl 2 Mage with annulian crystal on a Horse - running with high magic

Hero with BSB with the  banner of sorcery

34 Sea guard with full command

12 archers with full command

12 archers with full command

20 Sword Master with full command

20 White Lions of Charce

2x Lion Chariots of Charce

10 Dragon Princes with full command

2 x Repeater Bolt Throwers

Options are

a Dragon for just pure fun. Ill magnitise it so it can either run as a mage or a prince and some ellyrian Reavers.




What im interested in and I hope creates some discussion is what have people found with 8th edition?,
As I said last time i rolled dice for Warhammer was a very long time- but I have to say I am excited about returning to the 1st game system I ever played when I got into war gaming.

What are the pro's and cons of the system, is magic as broken as I have been reading? are skaven difficult to beat?  floor is open.

3 comments:

  1. Yes people please do drop comment on this one. The heartwarming comments will keep his high elves warm as they cry themselves to sleep at night, that is if their new Skaven overlords let them sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, 8th Ed Fantasy.

    I'm sure you've seen the disparaging comments, so it's good to see you still giving it a go. Personally, my reactions to 8th are mixed. I think that a lot of the strategic and tactical nuance has been washed away- there is a much greater reliance on cool rules and tricks to win games. That being said, it brings it closer in line with 40K, which I love, so I think I just need to get used to it.

    What I have noticed is that they've introduced lots of nice movement options- beasts/light cav get a move at the start of the game, charge resolutions have been tidied up etc, and then reduced the usefulness of these by effectively making the board smaller- charge ranges are much greater than they used to be. The games I've enjoyed have been 2000-2500 points, but played on an 8'*6' table- this seems to bring out the best aspects of the game, rather than making you focus on the things you miss.

    Just what I've found- I'll be interested to follow this, to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignoring comments from the idiot box

    Tenzing the larger table, interesting do you run larger units? or stick with msu units in such games?

    ReplyDelete